Frederick Chapter’s Early Years—Betty Harrison Maulsby Ritchie served as Frederick Chapter’s first Regent from 1892 to 1894. Under her regency, Chapter members chose the motto ”No Taxation Without Representation,” referring to the Resolution of Repudiation of November 23, 1765, when twelve Frederick County judges issued an order in direct defiance of the British Stamp Act. (Commemoration of this event has always been a prime concern of Frederick Chapter.) In 1893, during Mrs. Ritchie’s first term as Regent, the Chapter honored our Revolutionary Patriots by contributing toward a monument that the Maryland SAR was erecting in Brooklyn, New York. That monument serves as a tribute to the Old Line soldiers who died in the Battle of Long Island. The Chapter also arranged for the remains of Thomas Beatty, a repudiation judge, to be re-interred in Mt. Olivet.

On July 4, 1894, Frederick Chapter’s second Regent (1894-1896), Ann Graham Ross, placed a “neat white marble block” to mark the resting place of Thomas Johnson (b.1732-d.1819), first Governor of Maryland (1777-1779). (The Chapter later placed a marble block when his remains were relocated to Mt. Olivet.) The 1894 Thomas Johnson grave marking, and the dedication of a granite stone at Old Monocacy Church (“Log Church”), built 1732-1734, demonstrated the Chapter’s commitment to historic preservation, a commitment that continues to this day.


Mrs. Ritchie was dedicated to NSDAR, serving as the NSDAR Vice President General (1894-1895) and the Maryland State Regent (1895-1896), and, then returning as the Frederick Chapter’s third Regent from 1896 until her death in 1898. As the descendant of Frederick County Revolutionary War hero General Roger Nelson, Mrs. Ritchie was keenly aware of the need to preserve the history of the American Revolution for future generations. During her second term as Frederick Chapter Regent, she helped organize the installation of Mt. Olivet’s Francis Scott Key (1780-1843) Monument, dedicated in 1898.


In 1904, Miss Willie Maulsby Ritchie, then Chapter Regent, dedicated a bronze tablet at the Frederick Courthouse, currently City Hall, honoring the “Twelve Immortal Justices” who took part in the repudiation. In that same year, and again in 1967, a sign was placed at the birthplace of Rear Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (1839-1911). Schley was a hero of the Battle of Santiago de Cuba during the Spanish-American War and is interred in Arlington National Cemetery.


By 1905, Maryland had five NSDAR chapters. The Peggy Stewart Tea Party Chapter of Annapolis (formed 1898) called a general conference to organize a Maryland State Society (MSSDAR). State offices were allocated to each chapter in the order in which they had been organized. The Vice Regent from the Frederick Chapter, Miss Eleanor Murdoch Johnson, was nominated and confirmed when the conference met at the Governor’s Mansion in Annapolis.


Frederick Chapter in the 1920s—In 1922, Frederick Chapter paid for trees to be planted in Druid Hill Park, Baltimore, in memory of “fallen boys” of Frederick County in World War I. Also, working on a project first suggested in 1913, the Chapter dedicated a plaque in 1923 at the Jerusalem Cemetery in Myersville, MD. The inscription read: “The first churches of Western Maryland were built on or near this site”. Work on this project also included the marking of Old Trails Monument (Braddock Monument), dedicated in June 1924.


In that same year, Frederick Chapter joined other local patriotic organizations to dedicate a plaque at the Frederick Courthouse to honor Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney (1777-1864), whose wife Anne Arnold Phoebe Charlton Key was a sister of Francis Scott Key. Also in 1924, the Frederick Chapter commissioned local artist Helen Smith to produce a painting (entitled “Justice”) to hang in the Frederick Courthouse to honor Chief Justice Taney.


In 1928, the Chapter donated a chair to Constitution Hall. It was “Presented by Frederick Chapter DAR in honor of Mrs. Francis Markell who served as Regent for 22 years 1906-1928.”


After World War I, NSDAR initiated a major program to mark the old military trail, across the continent, with Madonna of the Trail statues. Twelve statues mark that trail from Maryland to California and Frederick Chapter contributed to the Bethesda, MD statue.


Frederick Chapter in the 1930s—In the 1930s, a reference to NSDAR-approved schools appeared in the minutes of Frederick Chapter. In 1931, money and clothes were sent to Crossnore, Tamassee, and Kate Duncan Smith Schools.


In November 1932, the Frederick Chapter again honored Thomas Johnson, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, by dedicating a bronze tablet. In that same month, the Chapter dedicated a Washington Bicentennial marker at Cookerly’s Tavern, located in New Midway, an area where George Washington (b.1732-d.1799) had stopped on July 12, 1791 en route to Philadelphia, PA.  


Mrs. Hammond Clary, 1937-1939 Regent, took part in the Chapter’s 1938 marking and dedication of Chief Justice Taney’s home, located at 121 S. Bentz Street. (Frederick Chapter also arranged Key Museum in the Taney House, and, when that museum was dedicated in April 1969, presented the museum with a set of 27 state flags.)


At its October 1939 meeting, Mrs. James Harris, Regent, read the State Regent’s request that Frederick Chapter make a ballot box for State Conference use. Mr. James Houck constructed the box, a Rose Hill Manor replica, with wood from the property. (John Colin Grahame and his wife Anne Johnson Grahame, daughter of Gov. Thomas Johnson, built the stately two-story portico Georgian mansion in 1790.) First displayed in McCleery’s Jewelry Store window, the model was later taken to Baltimore in the spring of 1940. Mrs. Harris presented the model at the 34th State Conference, and now, polished and refurbished, the model rests on the State Regent’s desk.


Frederick Chapter in the 1940s—In January 1942, at the height of World War II, Judge Alton Bennett reminded Frederick Chapter members to keep sand in readiness to address emergencies and to attend to “knitting, liberty gardens, and rationing.” Flag distribution became a major Chapter project, too. A large silk flag was presented to Frederick and Lincoln High Schools. The flag chairman visited schools to make sure that classrooms had flags, and she showed pupils the correct salute to the flag and distributed copies of The American’s Creed. In 1943, the new pledge gesture, hand over the heart instead of extended toward the flag, was first used.


By March 1943, Chapter members began recording their volunteer hours for the War effort. A total of 5,136 hours of ward work, including 1,047 hours preparing surgical dressings, were recorded, 634 articles were made, and 495-1/2 Motor Corps hours and 2,191 knitting hours were contributed. Also in 1943, the Chapter adopted a “Service Boy” stationed on a ship, and members volunteered to write to him. The crew of the Victory Ship S.S. Frederick also received Chapter gifts and, after the war, members were delighted to receive a letter from the ship’s Chaplain telling of the ship and crew’s role in the conflict. Chapter members donated books to ship libraries and military hospitals, purchased defense stamps and war bonds, contributed to blood plasma projects, took part in Red Cross volunteer activities, turned the Ellis Island project into contributions to a Coast Guard hospital on the Island, and sent servicemen letters and gifts.


In 1948, a painted wooden marker was approved for Rose Hill Manor (replaced in 1967). Also in 1948, a plaque was dedicated at William Tyler Page’s (b.1868-d.1942) birthplace located at 111 Record Street. A marker was also placed on William Tyler Page’s grave in St. John’s Cemetery.  


Frederick Chapter in the 1950s—In 1950, DAR added St. Mary’s, Bacone College, and American Indian schools to the list of DAR schools to receive donations. To this day, Frederick Chapter donates to NSDAR-sponsored schools. (The Chapter also donated wool, yarn, cloth, buttons, and cash to an Ellis Island project for occupational therapy to benefit immigrants.)


In the mid-1950s, NSDAR established the Honor Roll system and the Chapter received the 1954 Silver Honor Roll Ribbon and 1955 Gold Honor Roll Award.


In 1955, a plaque was dedicated on William Tyler Page’s boyhood home on Record Street.


In September 1957, NSDAR held its first National-level high school American History Essay Contest. The essay topic was the Monroe Doctrine and the winning essay was submitted by the Frederick Chapter on behalf of a student from Frederick, Maryland. (Students from Frederick also won the 1960 and 1969 State American History Essay Contests. Some 52 West Frederick, Thurmont, Woodsboro, Emmitsburg, and St. John’s students entered the 1969 contest.)


Frederick Chapter in the 1960s—With the admission of Hawaii and Alaska to the country in 1959, 48-star flags became outdated. Frederick Chapter presented flags to Linganore High, Carroll Manor, Adamstown, and even to the Fort Detrick nursery school. In 1963, the Chapter helped fabricate a portion of a replica of the 15-star American flag that flew over Fort McHenry, inspiring Francis Scott Key’s poem. The resulting flag was displayed at the New York World’s Fair in 1964 in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the writing of the Star Spangled Banner.

   
President John F. Kennedy and 40 State Governors endorsed the ringing of Bells of Freedom on July 4, 1963 - an event sponsored, in part, by NSDAR, and chaired by The Maryland State Americanism Chairman, Mrs. Joseph Hemp. On Independence Day 1963, Freedom Bells rang all over Frederick County at 2:00 p.m. for two minutes. Sponsoring groups recorded 888 bells rung in the county. The event, forerunner of Bell and History Day festivities that continue to this day, was described in a June 1966 Readers’ Digest article entitled “The Joyous Sound of Freedom”.


In 1964, as further recognition of Francis Scott Key and his family, the Frederick Chapter dedicated a bronze plaque on the iron fence surrounding the graves of Key’s parents, Ann Phoebe Penn Charlton (b.1756-d.1830) and John Ross Key (b.1754-d.1821).


During 1964 through 1969, the Chapter won the following awards: State Golden Honor Award (1963, 1966, 1967, and 1968); Honorable Mention (1969); National Honor Roll (1961), Silver Award (1965 and 1966), the coveted Gold Award (1967 and 1968).


Frederick Chapter in the 1970s—Frederick Chapter won Honorable Mention status from NSDAR in 1970-1971, the Silver Honor Roll award from 1972 to 1977, the Gold Honor Roll Award in 1978 and 1979, an award for outstanding yearbook, and a ribbon for its yearbook supplement. In 1976, Mr. John Snyder received the first place award in genealogical studies from the NSDAR, and, in 1979, MSSDAR cited Mr. Russell Horman, Public Relations chairman, for excellence in press coverage (415 inches and 24 pictures in the Maryland Press book).


In 1974, the Frederick Chapter helped place and dedicate a plaque on the Ross house, at 105 Council Street. The commemorative plaque references the gala reception that Colonel John MacPherson held there in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette during his 1824 visit to the U.S.


In 1975, the Chapter honored our Civil War veterans by dedicated a plaque to the home of Commander and Mrs. Dudley Page at 119 Record Street, also known as the Ramsey House. President Lincoln stayed at the Ramsey Home the night of October 4, 1862, when he visited General George Hartsuff (b.1830-d.1874), who received a severe hip wound at Antietam.  


In a 1976 ceremony, Judge Delaplaine was honored as author, biographer, historian, citizen, and statesman, and he told the Hessian Barracks history. A plaque was dedicated as Witness to History and placed on the barracks. The plaque lists eleven milestones in the history of the stone building from 1777 to 1868, when the Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD) was established.


In 1977, Frederick Chapter member Mrs. Oscar Fogle completed the MSSDAR project to locate American Revolutionary soldiers interred in Frederick County. Her list contained sixty-five men. Frederick Chapter, either working alone or with other DAR Chapters and SAR, has marked 15 of these soldiers’ graves. In 2008, the Frederick Chapter, along with the Pack Horse Ford Chapter, also marked the grave of Real Daughter, Henrietta Bedinger Lee, in Shepherdstown, WV.


Frederick Chapter in the 1980s—During the 1980s, Frederick Chapter received the Gold Honor Award three times; Silver Award three times; and Honorable Mention four times. The Chapter also received the Ribbon for Outstanding Yearbook twice, and the Ribbon for its yearbook supplement twice. Chapter files contain certificates for the Use of Theme in Program Titles for four years. The Chapter received certificates for outstanding programs in American Heritage in 1982, possibly on Early American Inns. On the State level, the Chapter recorded the largest number of applications in 1985, the largest percentage of increase in junior membership in 1988, and the largest percentage increase in memberships in 1986 and 1987.


Frederick Chapter 1990s—In the 1990s, there were six additional State American History Essay Contest winners whose essays were submitted by the Frederick Chapter. Also, MSSDAR’s 1990 State Conservation Medal and MSSDAR’s 1993 History Scholarship were awarded to Frederick students.


Frederick Chapter 2000s—In 2002, Frederick’s Gina Cremona received MSSDAR’s Good Citizen Award, and, in 2007, Chapter member Pati Redmond began interviewing and recording the stories of 100+ veterans for the Frederick County Veterans History Project through the Library of Congress.  Providing ongoing support to military families, Frederick Chapter continues to supply “Baby Bundles” for new mothers at Fort Detrick and “No Sew” blankets for the Children’s Advocacy Program.


In 2009, the Braddock Monument, weighing >25 tons, was moved and re-dedicated. Frederick Chapter helped raised the $36,000 for the move, invested 3 years of planning, and coordinated with the Frederick County Historic Preservation Commission, State Highway Administration, and Maryland Historic Trust to make the move a reality. As TV crews filmed, Alternate Route 40 was closed, and Fout Crane used its largest crane (provided at significant discount) to lift the monument and move it to its new location. Before the move, Joanne Baum, Historic Preservation Chairman, was interviewed on live TV. Then, donning hard hats and safety vests, the Chapter members watched the move happen. The event made the front page of local newspapers twice.


Frederick Chapter 2010s—In 2012, the Chapter placed and dedicated an interpretive panel sign at Braddock monument, and, in 2014, dedicated a bronze plaque at Rose Hill Manor and placed a plaque next to the “Justice” painting (which honors Chief Justice Taney) at Frederick City Hall to honor the artist, Helen Smith.


In 2015, Frederick Chapter gave George B. Delaplaine, Jr. a Community Service Award for his five decades of service to the Frederick community, through his family’s newspaper and through his contribution of lifesaving technology to Frederick’s EMS. That same year, the Frederick Chapter, the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), and the City of Frederick celebrated the 250th anniversary of the Stamp Repudiation Act and dedicated an interpretive plaque at City Hall.

       
In the 2010s, Chapter History Medal Awardees included: George Lewis (2011); Frances Randall (2012); Birch Holtz (2013); Ann Lebherz (2014); G. Bernard Callan (2015); and Robert Gearinger (2016). Historic Preservation Recognition Awardees included Paul&Pat Fogle (2011); Frederick Chapter DAR’s Braddock Monument Committee (2012); Frederick Chapter DAR’s Lewis and Clark Committee (2012); Paul and Rita Gordon (2016); John W. Ashbury (2016); James Castle (2016); Silver Oak Academy Construction Class and Catoctin Club (2016); Christopher Haugh (2017); Mary V. Harris (2017); Jerry Freeze (2017); and Chad Baker (2017). Winners of MSSDAR’s Outstanding Teacher of American History Award have included Scott Strait (Brunswick, MD), Colleen Barnard (Oakdale, MD), and Tony Miller (Linganore High).


In the 2010s, the Chapter’s award-winning Historic Preservation projects included: moving and rededicating Braddock Monument (2010 1st place Eastern Division NSDAR); placing a Lewis & Clark Expedition Medallion at the Hessian Barracks at MSD (2012 2nd place MSSDAR); “Justice: Phase 1” (2013 1st place MSSDAR and 3rd place Eastern Division NSDAR); “Justice;  Phase 2” (2014 1st place MSSDAR and 1st place Eastern Division NSDAR); Rose Hill Manor–Marking the home of Thomas Johnson, First Governor of Maryland (2015 1st place MSSDAR and 1st place Eastern Division NSDAR); Frederick’s Historic Repudiation Day by the 12 Immortal Judges (2016 2nd place); and Picture This – A Gift of History (2017 1st place). The Chapter also won 1st place for NSDAR for its commemoration of the 250th Anniversary of the Repudiation of the Stamp Act.


Frederick Chapter’s Annual Activities: Frederick Chapter members walk in parades such as the Woodsboro Memorial Day Parade, the Walkersville 4th of July Parade, and the Brunswick Veterans Day Parade, and hold a Repudiation Tea, at which Frederick County’s Clerk of the Court reads minutes from the original Repudiation Book. The Chapter also sets up information displays at the Frederick Fair and other local events, and issues Community Service Awards to Frederick County residents. In honor of Constitution Week, members obtain proclamations from the City Mayor and County Commissioners, set up Constitution Week displays in Frederick County libraries and schools, and participate in Bells Across America. In addition, the Frederick Chapter goes to church as a chapter; donates to NSDAR’s library, Seimes Technology Center, and sponsored schools (boxtops and money); contributes to the Fort Detrick food bank; collects money for and participates in Wreaths Across America; and sends packages to troops overseas.


Frederick Chapter Members Who Have Held State or National Office: Betty Harrison Maulsby Ritchie (State Regent 1895-1896 and Vice President General 1894-1895); Eleanor M. Johnson (State Vice Regent 1907-1908); Mary L.K. Markell (State Historian 1928-1931); Sadie D. Anders (State Treasurer 1937-1940); Dorothea W. Harris (State Registrar 1943-1944 and State Regent 1946-1947); Frances T. Bussard (State Corresponding Secretary 1965-1968); Elizabeth P. Remsburg (State Chaplain 1977-1980); Teresa Elizabeth Ecker Oyler (State Assistant Treasurer 2006-2009); Carol Dorsey Larkin (State Historian 2009-2012, State First Vice Regent 2012-2015, State Regent 2015-2018); Barbara Lee Minor Shealer (State Organizing Secretary 2012-2015) and Anne Creagmile Michael Meilleur (State Registrar 2015-2018).