Philip Key

Born: 1750 - St. Mary’s County, Maryland
Died: January 4, 1820 - Leonardtown, St. Mary’s County, Maryland
Buried: Christ Episcopal Church Cemetery in the family vault, Chaptico, St.
Mary’s County, Maryland
 
Service: Philip Key was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates between 1779-1790 representing St. Mary’s County, Maryland.
 
Family: Philip Key married Rebecca Jowles Sothoron on March 14, 1779. Philip was born and resided at ‘Gravelly Hills,’ Chaptico Hundred. Philip pursued an academic course in England and upon returning to Maryland was admitted to the bar and practiced law. Engaged in farming, he shared partial ownership of two mills in St. Mary’s County. Philip served in the Maryland House of Delegates in 1773; on the Committee of Correspondence in 1774; as a Representative of the U.S. Congress between 1791-1793; and as a Member of the State House of Delegates between 1795-1796, and served as speaker. Philip was an Anglican of King and Queen Parish. Through inheritance, patent, and purchase, he acquired as much as 2,000 acres in St. Mary’s and Charles counties in 1776- 1820; along with three lots in Baltimore City and four acres in Baltimore County. His father was Dr. John Key, son of Philip Key and mother Cecelia, daughter of Dr. Gustavus Brown of Charles County.
 
Source: Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress 1774-present, Maryland State Archives.